Public Engagement at the Center
We design, research and evaluate public engagement with science at the University of Maryland Center for Environmental Science (Appalachian Laboratory). The American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) defines public engagement with science as “intentional meaningful interactions that provide mutual learning between scientists and their public.” We support and study meaningful exchanges that support mutual learning between and among all types of educators and public audiences.
Our current work focuses on five themes:
- Citizen science design and assessment
- Environmental education and stewardship
- Scientists’ engagement with public audiences
- K-12 and informal educator professional development and capacity building
- Integrating science practices and tools in informal and K-12 learning venues