We haven’t updated our blog for a couple of months, which means we have a backlog of new publications to announce.
The first is a paper in The Journal of Wildlife Management in which we used genetic data to identify the sex of bats killed at a wind-energy facility to assess factors that may cause inaccuracies in morphology-based identifications. We found that the sex of older carcasses was more likely to be misidentified (based on morphology) and perhaps more surprisingly that different searchers differed in their ability to correctly identify the sex of fresh carcasses.
The second is a paper in Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry which we determined the effect of heat and singeing on the hydrogen isotope values of bird feathers. We found that severely charred feathers should be avoided, which has implications for analysis of feathers from birds that are burned and killed at concentrating solar-energy facilities.
Finally, our most recent paper came out yesterday in Nature Ecology and Evolution. This publication represents a large international effort led by Joe Craine and Andrew Elmore to synthesize foliar nitrogen isotope data from around the world. The data indicate that N availability to plants in unfertilized ecosystems has been declining in recent decades.
We have a couple of additional papers in press, but will save those for another day.